Permanent Residency Options for Cooks

Permanent Residency Options for Cooks

Permanent Residency Options for Cooks

An extremely popular job role for those hoping to come and stay permanently in Australia, here are the following options for someone who is a Cook by profession.

First, we will define the role of a Cook and the potential visas that can be applied for, subject to meeting other visa requirements.


Occupation ANZSCO


Visa List Assessing Authority
Cook 351411 190 – Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)

407 – Training Visa

(subclass 407)

489 – Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) – State or Territory nominated

482 – Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482) – Short-term Stream, caveats apply

187 – Regional Sponsor Migration Scheme (subclass 187)

494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored regional (provisional) (subclass 494) – Employer-sponsored stream

491 – Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491) State or Territory nominated



After completing a Diploma (must be CRICOS approved), the cook has various options:


The Subclass 407 Visa is a temporary visa that is granted to Cooks who wish to undergo occupation training, provided they have recent suitable experience and are seeking to undertake structured training to improve their skills as a Cook.  This visa is ideal for Cooks who cannot meet the requirements of other employer-sponsored visas, though still wish to gain experience with the employer.


For cooks seeking to be sponsored by an employer, it is important to note that the employer must meet certain caveats which are: The position cannot be involved in mass production in a factory setting, and the position must not be in a limited-service restaurant; which includes fast food or takeaway food services, fast-casual restaurants, drinking establishments that offer only limited food service, limited service cafes including, but not limited to, coffee shops or mall cafes, and limited-service pizza restaurants.

No Comments

Post A Comment

Ask A Question
close slider