How To Transition from (TSS) 482 Visa to Permanent Resident (PR)

How To Transition from (TSS) 482 Visa to Permanent Resident (PR)

How To Transition from (TSS) 482 Visa to Permanent Resident (PR)

The Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) 482 Visa lets you stay in Australia for a maximum term of up to 4 years, whereby you can work, travel, and study in Australia. It has 4 separate streams: The Short Term Stream, Medium Term Stream, Labour Agreement Stream, and subsequent Entrant Stream. In some instances, you can transition to permanent residency.


The short stream TSS 482 visa holders may be eligible for visas for up to two (2) years, renewable onshore once for a further two (2) years, and potentially renewable for an additional two-year period if applying from offshore. The applicant must continue to meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements. However, TSS 482 Visa obtained through the short-term occupation list does not offer a pathway to permanent residency.


A major feature of the TSS 482 Visa is that there are pathways to Permanent Residency (PR) through the Employer-Sponsored Temporary Transition Stream (ENS) or the Regional Employer Sponsored Scheme (RSMS), depending on the location of the applicant and depending on the stream.


How to transition to Permanent Residency from a TSS 482 Visa

The medium stream of a TSS 482 visa enables you to apply for permanent residency at a later stage. To be eligible for the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa, you will need to:

  • Be nominated by an approved sponsor for a position on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
  • Work for the nominated employer
  • Demonstrate that you have the relevant qualifications, skills, and employment background experience to perform the nominated occupation
  • Demonstrate to have had at least two (2) years of relevant experience in the nominated occupation
  • Have a positive skills assessment when required
  • Have adequate health insurance, meet health requirements, and meet character requirements
  • Must have at least competent English unless you are a passport holder from Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America
  • Demonstrate that you complied with your current visa conditions
  • Not have had a previous visa canceled or refused


How Can I Apply for PR with the TSS 482 Visa?

The TSS 482 visa holder has a chance to apply for Permanent Resident if they fulfill the following conditions:

  • The 482 Visa holder must be working in an occupation that is on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) for 186 Applications.
  • Must have worked for the same employer for 3 years on the TSS 482 Visa
  • Must have worked in the same Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) occupation for 3 years on the 482 TSS Visa
  • Must have at least competent English
  • Must be under 45 tears of age at the time of applying for Permanent Residency


How to Convert TSS Visa to Permanent Residency for Regional Workers

  • The TSS Visa holder must be working in an occupation that is on the Regional Occupation List (ROL) and working in a Designated Regional Area for 187 Applications
  • English Exemptions (If applying for 187 RSMS through the Temporary Residence Transition Stream and have completed at least five years of full-time study in secondary or higher education whether the medium of instruction was delivered in English)


In all cases, the employer or Australian Business must be willing to sponsor the applicant for permanent residency and must lodge a valid nomination with the Department of Home Affairs.

Further, the employer must also be willing to pay the Skilling Australian Fund (SAF) Levy which is tax-deductible. The purpose of the SAF Levy is for employers to contribute to the broader skills development of Australians. More information about the cost of sponsoring an applicant can be found on the DHA Website.


Can I include my family in my TSS 482 application for permanent residency?

Applicants can include their dependent children, stepchildren, and partner in their transitional permanent residency application provided the following conditions are met:

No Comments

Post A Comment

Ask A Question
close slider