Permanent Residency Options for Chefs

Permanent Residency Options for Chefs

Permanent Residency Options for Chefs

If you are a Chef, whether you have studied in Australia or has been working overseas, these are the following possible options for you to come and stay in Australia permanently.


Occupation ANZSCO


Visa List Assessing Authority
 Chef 351311 186 – Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) caveats apply

189 – Skilled Independent (subclass 189) – points tested

190 – Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)

407 – Training Visa (subclass 407)

485 – Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) Graduate Work

489 – Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) State or Territory nominated

482 – Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482) – Medium Term Stream, caveats apply

187 – Regional Sponsor Migration Scheme (subclass 187)

494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) (subclass 494) – Employer sponsored stream

491 – Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491) State or Territory nominated

491 – Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491) Family Sponsored





After completing a relevant Chef qualification (must be CRICOS approved), the Chef has various options:


  • Apply for a Subclass 485 Graduate Visa (Post Study Work Stream)

After completing a 2-year study in Commercial Cookery or similar course, and after getting a positive Provisional Skills Assessment (PSA) from Trades Recognition Australia (TRA), you can apply for a Temporary graduate Visa. The eligibility criteria include a valid student visa, CRICOS registered qualification that is relevant to the occupation assessed by TRA, proof of relevant paid employment of minimum 360 hours relating to the nominated occupation (Chef), and the experience must be within 3 years before submission of PSA application, an overall score of 6 in IELTS, and meet the health and character requirement.


The Subclass 407 Visa is a temporary visa that a Chef can apply for to complete work-based training. It will require a sponsor/employer who can provide the training and the training must structure either to be an ‘occupational training to improve skills as a Chef’ or ‘occupational training for capacity building overseas’ which is for overseas students who wants to complete placement in Australia.


For Chefs seeking to be sponsored by an employer, it is important to note that the employer must meet certain caveats which are: The position cannot be involved in mass production in a factory setting, and the position must not be in a limited-service restaurant; which includes fast food or takeaway food services, fast-casual restaurants, drinking establishments that offer only limited food service, limited service cafes including, but not limited to, coffee shops or mall cafes, and limited-service pizza restaurants.

No Comments

Post A Comment

Ask A Question
close slider